Well thousands of us aren’t – and that’s putting our lives at risk as millions of things in our houses could be at risk. Martin Squires was one of them – until a fateful night in July 2014, when his dishwasher set on fire. Luckily he managed to put out the fire before it hurt… Read more »
Smoke alarms provide a vital early warning and can allow extra time to escape if there is a fire in your home. Sometimes called smoke detectors, you should always ensure you have at least one device fitted on the ceiling of every floor in your home – ideally placing smoke alarms in every room of… Read more »
Electrical Safety First strongly recommends that, wherever you live, you use an electrician registered with one of the government-approved schemes to do any electrical installation work that you need. Registered electricians work to the UK national safety standard (BS 7671) and will give you a safety certificate to confirm that their work has been designed,… Read more »
Avoid Over Loading your Sockets! Most people have extension leads in their homes, using 4-way bar adaptors to increase the number of appliances that they can plug into a wall socket. However, although there is space to plug in four appliances, this does not mean it is always safe to do so. You can avoid overloading… Read more »
Cold homes have a significant impact on people’s health. One of the best ways of keeping yourself well during winter is to stay warm.
Cold homes have a significant impact on people’s health. One of the best ways of keeping yourself well during winter is to stay warm. Keeping warm over the winter months can help prevent colds, flu or more serious health conditions such as heart attacks, strokes, pneumonia and depression. The chances of these problems are higher if you’re vulnerable to cold-related illnesses because of one or more of the… Read more »
It’s the important to ensure our homes are sufficiently ventilated this winter. Winter is here and as the frost rolls in we close the windows, bolt the door and retreat into our homes to escape from the cold. Nothing can beat putting your feet up in a nice, cosy living room whilst the elements run… Read more »
Put simply, occupancy detection involves using Passive Infra-Red (PIR) and Microwave detection to help cut down on unnecessary energy consumption. Microwave detection is a newer and more advanced occupancy sensor than the PIR – it works by emitting high frequency electro-magnetic waves and then receives their echo. The sensor detects the change in echo from… Read more »
Electric heater warning as temperatures set to plummet in London. New figures released today show that fires caused by electrical heaters have resulted in a total of seven deaths and 162 injuries in the last five years. With temperatures set to plummeting to below 0°C overnight, firefighters are urging people to take extra care if… Read more »
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing!